Wednesday 17 February 2010

All set to head off for Haiti!

This weekend I will set off for the small town of Milot in the Northern mountains of Haiti to assist the organization CRUDEM with the medical support of thousands that have been affected by January's horrible earthquake.  


CRUDEM has been in Milot since 1968  and serves the 225,000 people living in the Milot region of northern Haiti. The village of Milot itself has a population of about 25,000, and an additional 200,000 people live within a 12-mile radius. The area is made up of many small hamlets and rural communities, situated on rough terrain consisting of mountains and plains. 


Sacre Coeur Hospital is one of the few hospitals in Haiti which was not damaged by the earthquake.  As a result, they have grown from a maximum capacity of 73 beds to well over 300!  There have been makeshift wards constructed in the adjacent missions and schools.  The town is literally bursting at the seams with local townsfolk opening up their homes for families of the patients.  I humbly hope there will be enough time and space to help all those in need...


( Images and data from the CRUDEM website. Be sure to visit at www.crudem.org)

9 comments:

  1. Brian- thanks for posts. be safe and I hope your trip goes well. george

    ReplyDelete
  2. To our own beloved 'brewdoc' - Godspeed, with love. Our thoughts are with you and the whole team is behind you. Will look in on Kari and offer childcare and chocolate prn. If there is anything we can do here at all, and you are able to send word, we are at your service. CC and co.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Brian
    I just got back from Port au Prince, 8 days setting up clinics in remote areas of the city. If I can offer any words of help, please contact me at stoneptcnm@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brian-
    Best of luck to you in Haiti! Even living in the shadow of Katrina, it's hard to imagine the suffering that's going on down there. Bless you for using your medical skills in such a relevant way.
    Best wishes from New Orleans, Cat & Colm

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I arrive Wednesday evening at Sacre Coeur. Looking forward to meeting you. I am a physiatrist (Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation) from Charleston, WV. This is my 6th trip to Haiti but first with Sacre Coeur. I am "on loan" from my usual group, Friends of Fort Liberte´, located about 35 miles down the road.

    Ken
    Kenneth C. Wright MD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Brian, great work you are doing. My sister, Barabara, is there. RN, works often in ICU. Please say hello to her and send her our best. Thanks for your blog, I enjoy reading the updates!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to hear from you; words don't capture the remarkable service you are providing. Must be daunting and no rest and reflection time at all, so pace yourself for the marathon you are on and hydrate, hydrate! Enough nagging for today. Thinking of you and sending stamina thoughts. Take care as best you can, and thank you so much for creating this blog. What a great way to share a glimpse of another world with us. CC

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brian, the NO FLY ZONE
    Keep door closed,

    it's my handwriting and matches the huge block print of KEEP DOOR CLOSED on the back door where the garbage is taken out and the suction canisters are dumped and cleaned for reuse, so attractive to those fat flies and other vermin ! Did I see a picture of my pink fly swatter posted? I loved reading this, and working with you. I'll tell my DUKE Anes team what good words you had to say about them. Pam Borden

    ReplyDelete